Liberty Traditional School Orchestra
Our new year of Liberty Traditional School Orchestra begins in September and all 5th through 8th grade students are eligible to participate! Students who join our after school program learn to play the violin, viola or cello. Instruction will be based on the highly successful Suzuki Method, adapted for group use. We will have fun while learning to play our stringed instruments beautifully! Students will first learn to play their instruments by ear, with music reading and theory added as skill is built. The orchestra will have several in-school and a few after-school performances throughout the school year.
Stradavari House of Phoenix will provide instrument rentals. Families with financial need can arrange to borrow instruments from the Orchestra program.
Orchestra Schedule: After school to 4:00 pm twice weekly, starting the 3rd week of August (TBD)
Location: Liberty Traditional School
For More Information or to Enroll: See the “Parent Resources” page. Submit an interest form to receive additional information as it becomes available.
Life Skills Gained by Playing a Stringed Instrument:
Orchestra is part of Liberty Traditional School's commitment to a challenging academic environment that creates students who are positive role models in the community. Playing a musical instrument helps develop other important skills that make your child a better student and a more capable, happy adult:
- Focus and concentration
- Memorization skills
- Active listening skills
- Independent learning and problem solving
- Cognitive development for language, reading, math, and other areas
- Mental agility and dual-task performance
- Coordination and crossing the body's midline with different left/right side action
- Confidence standing and presenting in front of a group
- Cooperative, polite group participation and other prosocial skills
- Insight that a little practice makes a big difference over time
- Constructive handling of mistakes
- Understanding that practice changes "I can't" to "I can!"
- Persistence to work and accomplish a longer-term goal
- Self-Confidence, self-esteem, and resilience
- Ability to relax, de-stress, and express feelings through music
- Artistic development and love of beauty in art
- Knowledge of music theory, note reading, rhythm, and beat
- Knowledge of cultural heritage
- Sense of community and contribution to others